Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Origin: A Call to Minds... Main production is finished

After just over a year and a bit of animation, main production on Origin: A Call to Minds is finished. I'm slightly over time target, I'd wanted to be done this Jan 1 2012 of this year, but production ran a little slower once I got into the heavy effects and action shots. ... however... 403 days for an Uberector to animate and comp a feature length digima is pretty good.

...How long does it take a studio of typewriter monkeys to make a feature animated film..?...which is someone Else's "creative" vision... and is usually not as good as something that an Uberector can make on their own with the help of some talented voice actors and musician friends. Give it a few years and the way I make films will be the NORM instead of the FRINGE... Instead of a handful of UBERECTORS there will be OVER 9000!!!!!

(I think there's what.. 4 or 5 of us that I know of off hand... myself... m dot strange... Jeff Lew... Tyler Gibb... Jay Shah's vids on youtube are starting to get some quality... Matt and Dan O'Donnell ... if there's anyone else you know of let me know..) Update (/ Warning): Screamerclaus has a new film coming out...


Some stats on the film:

  • Running length 78 mins... definitely the longest film I've ever made
  • Main production: 403 days
  • Pre-production: 246 days
  • so that's ... umm.. 649 days..
  • Archon Defender took 976 days ( 2 1/2 years...)
  • It's in 3D
Still left to do:

  • Sound FX and Foley...
  • Music...
  • Some shots have to be tweaked and theres a couple shots to insert....
Getting the voiceovers recorded first and timing the animatic really helped a lot this time, also building *most* of the sets and characters before doing any animation. Animating physical fight scenes also turned out to be easier than I thought it would be, so you can expect more of that and crazier sh** in the future...

Oh did I mention it's in 3D too.. as in 3D glasses 3D... (which looks great btw)

6 comments:

dmgpunk said...

AWESOME! Congratulations man! I hope you're done the sound in time for film festivals and all that.

ZephyrStar said...

Congrats! Can't wait to see it :D

Ler Dsixfoe said...

hmm Idk does screamclauz count? I think i read that he's releasing his first film..but idk


then ofcourse there's me but..that's in the future >w>

definetly excited to see this film come to completion!

David T. Krupicz said...

Oh yeah, Screamerclauz... his stuff is even weirder than M.dot Strange, if that's at all possible. Well, either way: make a film by yourself and you get to be called an UBERECTOR...

Anonymous said...

you should check out michael p heneghan's the romantic. its free on vimeo and he did it all by himself as far as i know.

Anonymous said...

Excellent I can't wait to see this.