Friday, May 13, 2011

Department of Redundancy and Backups Department

Most of you may have never seen a great little animated short entitled “Secret Joys of Myopia”, which was in production a few years ago by animator Keith Lango... Actually... pretty much ZERO people have seen this film, including Keith himself because he lost all his project data and backups in one head-exploding fateful event.

For those who don't know, I worked on this film for two and a half years before I lost all the data (and back up data as well) in a freak computer incident in which I lost two completely seperate workstations within 16 hrs of each other. To add insult to injury, all of my DVD backups were lost in a move.
(Betcha Keith wouldn't be too happy to know that his film actually still exists, lost somewhere in the strings of 1's and 0's of binary data...)

Which brings me to the subject of backups. You can never have too many backups, and it's also good to keep backups off-site. Keith had lots of backups, but he still got screwed, so the lessons to learn are:

When you think you have enough backups, you don't

Don't trust your important shit to movers, they're a bunch of a$$holes who like to break and lose your shit.


I'm especially paranoid about backups, and suffice to say that I have project backups of all my old films, as well as my current "Origin - A Call to Minds", squirreled away in safe places I know about (and keep secret ;)



FreeFileSync is a fantastic little program, you can setup batch sync updates, and one click, all your important data is saved onto a little portable USB harddrive. Speaking of which;

Walmart is great. Yup, you heard me say it... People (hipsters) love to rag on the evil corporation Walmart blah blah bicycles blah blah environment etc,... but seriously, where else can you get cheap backup USB harddrives, cheesies, and fresh baked oven loaf bread at 3 am?

So, unless you like your projects to exist lost somewhere in the binary information datastate of codec-space, make lots of backups.

2 comments:

Reyori said...

M dot decided to put backups onto a hard drive and then put it in a safety deposit box, that's back up dedication!
I too have lost a few things to crazy circumstances (all of them fault of windows...)
but it's usually just something like a mine craft world
Nothing ever that important

All my most important animation files are A) on a DVD on a shelf in my room B) Stored away in Drop Box or C) stored on diffrent hard drives

Can NEVER be to careful with backups.

Anonymous said...

More posts! More information!!!!#?$#^%#$^$%&^$%&$%&*