Sunday, August 8, 2010

Character Design

Working on some new character models for the next film:


I'm big on recycling models from past projects, so some of these characters may look familiar to my 'regulars' by now. I'm rebuilding some parts of the models from scratch, keeping some of the methods I've used in the past, but refining the head, ears, noses, in addition to the hands which are now fully articulated with skeletal bones instead of the morph target 'cheat' that I've used in the past, which will mean a lot more versatility in the animation of hand poses.


Each character is getting the most recent version of my face animation rig as well, I've added and improved on the original controls that I created (dating back to the end of rocketmen 4, actually) So no everyone has controls for blinking, fear, anger, individual eyebrow controls, smiling, frowning, smirk, yelling, and 'smiley eyes', as well as the common mouth shapes for lip synching. I'm keeping with the simple look of the face animation: simpler is better... due to the 'uncanny valley' (home of such horrors as zombies, the frankenstein monster, and call center ops managers)


I want to get this next film done a lot faster than I did Archon Defender. The script is finished and polished off, the storyboards are done, now I'm building all the characters, environments, and props that I'll need. While I'm doing that, I'm going to record all the dialog with my voice actors in the next month or two, then it's a "simple" matter of getting down to the animation ;)

7 comments:

freakjobb said...

Kudos to you. Those hands in the stills already look tons better.

Drainage64 said...

This is looking awesome!
Can't wait to see it finished!

No pressure though XD

Anonymous said...

I concur this is awesome. I don't know why but I get so excited to see you post something new to your blog

Reyori said...

I haven't been on your blog in a while...
Good job on the models
I see you lengthened the arms lol
small arms weren't a problem to me but they did look funny

Can;t wait to see it when it's done!

freakjobb said...

I know this has nothing to with your post but I just realized that you don't have like any contact info on either here or your youtube page but anyways, I 'm not sure if you've heard of this contest yet but I think it would be pretty cool to see your film with the new audio in a theatre since i never got to see it at a film fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdb4qokLDM&feature=sub

nodelete said...

Freakjobb: thanks for the tip ;) Too bad for me it looks like they only take USA residents (I'm from canada)

So while the rest of the world waits for some people to come into the modern world... If you find any other fests like this, definitely let me know :)

freakjobb said...

Aww that's not cool. I was pretty certain that you would win too. Oh and I had no idea you were from Canada, its pretty amazing up there. But anyways, If i hear of anything else like this i'll be sure to let you know