Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Do you just want to be a cog in the machine?

Some of you reading this may have gone to school to study animation or some other aspect of filmmaking. Some of you might even be working in the field. Chances are you've heard a lot about 'workflow' and 'quotas' and 'production' and various other bits of hr-speak meant to keep you under the thumb and in your place. You might not even mind it; gotta pay the bills... and trust me, it's not much more cheerful at a call center job.

So this isn't going to be some commie rant about the evils of employment and the rise of the proletariat or any such garbage.

But at some point you went into the creative field because you had a creative vision, you may still hold onto that vision, even though the day to day grind does it's best (intentional or not) to drive that from you. So do you want to be a cog in the machine? Sure, if it pays the bills, why not... but here's the positive message: You can still bring your own creative vision to reality using modern computing technology (example: off lease computers) and freely available tools (example: blender) in your free time. Got a movie stuck in your head forever? A music video, a book, a painting? Get it out for the world to see.

I made Archon Defender in my spare time, in 3 years, while working full time at a shitty call center (garbage dumps only *smell* worse.. they are actually better places to work.. and I've also worked at a garbage dump) In the year since I first released it, I've received multiple awards on the film festival circuit, plus attracted the attention of a talented group of professional actors who helped me polish out the soundtrack (you're going to have to put up with the 'short arms' though, I'm not planning to re-render the whole film...) In that time as well, I've created another short "Tales From The Afternow" , a 3D short, and traveled to various film festivals to screen my film. Not to mention that in the previous year since releasing Archon, I've refined my visual style, and developed a 3D stereoscopic workflow...

And I'm just sitting here on my computer pushing pixels around.. nothing spectacular, you can do it too. And the more people that get involved, make your own film (or whatever art you are good at) the more it'll push me to be better at my art (gotta keep ahead ;) So IF you are sitting in some production studio right now reading this, waiting to make your epic film, why wait? You don't have to be a single cog in the machine.. .you can be every cog in the machine (except maybe for voice actors.. you'll need some good voice actors...)

2 comments:

Drainage64 said...

Well possibly within the next few years I'll be making a film so maybe that will push you too! ^___^

Anonymous said...

Hypothetically you could do without the voice actors. It would just make your film more...

...unique!

~ J