Sunday, November 8, 2009

Character Modeling

It's been a while since I've had to do character modeling. For Archon Defender, I based all the characters on the same original model and modified them as I needed to make new characters. This is one reason why the characters look similar, though I did tweak the face and body proportions for each of the main characters. Having a pre-rigged character that I could go back and edit the clothing for came in quite handy.

It's also the reason the characters have (apparently) "short arms" (a major "complaint" I've received) That's because I never noticed the arms were short until I had 20 mins of the film done and I wasn't about to go back and re-do all those shots. So. If you want to complain about short arms to me, you should have mentioned it 3 1/2 years ago when I modeled the first character >:P

Yesterday and today I spent about 9-10 hours total modeling and rigging my latest character, for the Tales from the Afternow short:

Too Much TV: A victim of the Couch Potato Famine
'cross eyed' 3D pair
(the actual film is not going to be in 3D :(
I'm not going to sit here for the next 2 months
cross eyed or wearing stupid glasses)

This is the character 'Icuubi' from afternow Episode XV: The Digital Totem. If you haven't checked out Tales From The Afternow yet, you should. (It'll at least keep you occupied until I finish this next film... not no mention it's the shizzzzzzzzz)

Icuubi is kind of a bit player in the film I'm working on, but an Afternow animation just wouldn't be right without him ;) Plus, it was good to warm up the modeling skills to get the main characters ready in the next week or two. Starting off from a box, with cheerful source material (pics of death camp victims and anorexics :/ ...) the modeling took about 7 or 8 hours and then the texturing and fine tuning, plus the robe, and then rigging and fine tuning vertex weights (fun stuff) He's pretty much ready to go (aside from the hands, which aren't fine-poseable yet) Plus I've got a couple things to add onto him that I thought up after the fact...

You can also see the 'polygon paint' sketch effect at work on this example, It's turning out really good, and I can't wait to see what a full sequence animated with this technique is going to look like.

No comments: